Thursday 24 July 2014

My daughter is having an identity crises...

My lovely daughter seems to be having a very serious identity crises. She apparently categorizes all individuals into two types: city girl or country girl.

We abandoned our city ways and moved to the country, yet her father (whom she visits frequently) still lives in the big city of Edmonton. She struggles, the poor thing, with whether that makes her a city girl or a country girl? I dared to suggested that perhaps she is the rare exception, and is in fact an amalgamation of city AND country girl... I think her 7-year-old brain almost exploded trying to consolidate the two.

Example: A few weeks ago we enjoyed our FIRST EVER rodeo! (It was highly entertaining, I fully recommend going sometime, if only for the eye candy) And in classic "city girl" fashion she couldn't decide what to wear! For our first Christmas here, her new grandparents-in-law, in a show of infinite sweetness, bought her a pair of beautiful chaps (not sh-aps!), complete with tassels. Her first outfit choice consisted of those, a white bedazzeled cow girl hat (remnants of a halloween costume) a blue plaid button-up and probably her walmart brand crocs. She would have looked ridiculous and adorable all at the same time, but I think she was too uncomfortable. Like she wasn't quite country girl enough yet to fit the country girl look.

She ended up in an equally adorable, albeit excessively matchy, outfit of a black, florescent green, and pink maxi sundress, pink sparkly shoes, and a pink fedora.


I really wish I had a better picture of her outfit that day. She rocked it.

Currently, she is in Edmonton right now visiting her dad and it makes me wonder which identity she'll come home with? It was a long stint in between visits this time and I'm sure if you had asked her then, she would have probably said she was more country girl. After two weeks in the big city though....

It also makes me wonder where she comes up with these ideas? Why does a 7-year-old feel the need to restrict herself to a preordained label box? And why THOSE (rather specific) two labels? I've been very careful her whole life, especially now given our current family structure, to instill a strong understanding that everyone is different and no one personality or trait is wrong. Strange that this urge to define should surface now. Two years ago she was certain she was going to be Hannah Montana...



Yes, she is gorgeous, I know. Thank you. 
Look at those Pipes!

2 comments:

  1. Once again I enjoyed reading your blog. Your daughter is adorable. I think she will find her way with a great parent like you Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so gorgeous! You are right! As usual.

    ReplyDelete