Monday 6 October 2014

When Roosters Attack!

That rooster is a dead man!!

As I have mentioned before, we accidentally acquired a rooster, who is, to say it kindly, and a--hole! Not only does he have a warped sense of time, and crows at all hours, he now apparently fancies himself a fighting cock. That's right, the bastard attacked me! (I resolved when I started this blog not to swear, but gosh darn it, its getting hard!)

I went outside with the baby, as is my normal routine around lunch time, and we decided to check on the chickens, see if there were any new eggs. I noticed an egg and also that they didn't have any food or water so I reached in to grab the egg and water thing, and the damn rooster jumped up and latched himself onto my finger! I've got the marks to prove it! To make it worse, I had the new egg in the hand he bit, and I reflexively clenched my hand, and crushed the egg all over me! I retaliated by throwing his crushed offspring embryo back at him, but the damage was done! I was mad.

As you can tell, I am still in shock. How many people can say they were attacked by a rooster?!

Do roosters have a musk period, you know like elephants? Or is he just growing up and into his new role as chief a--hole? Is he going to be like this always now? Or is this a phase? Poultry PMS?

I suppose with everything that has gone on with the poor chickens, multiple dog attacks, plus child-related "mishaps", he has legitimate reason to try to protect his harem. But you know what buddy!? If you don't let me in there, your harems going to Die! Then who you going to protect?! Huh?!

After The Great Chicken Fiasco (read it here http://monogamyisformanhattan.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-great-chicken-fiasco.html), the kids are going to likely be hesitant to "off" another chicken. Even if he is a jerk. But it's their responsibility to feed and water the chickens everyday, so not that I'm hoping they will get hurt, but I'm hoping they will get fed up with trying to avoid an territorial chicken mcnugget with an inflated ego, enough that they will concede (hopefully soon) to introducing the rooster to our kitchen table. 

Revenge is best served cold? Revenge is best served roasted and seasoned to perfection, with a side of potatoes.

Bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment